Brenna is not with us today because we suspect that she contracted MRSA (Methicillin-resistant
Staphylococcus Aureus) from a hospital when she was having a small cyst
lanced. Click here
This has called us to action.
Here is a summary of what we have learned.
- One in 20 hospital patients contract infections from caretakers
- Deaths from hospital acquired infections are now listed as the FOURTH
leading cause of death.
- Good hand hygiene has been known to reduce the spread of infections by
health professionals since 1822.
- Hospitals hide their infection rates. Three states have enacted
legislation to require hospitals to publish their infection rates.
- Good hand hygiene is the leading prevention method.
- Approximately 130,000 deaths per year are related to improper hand hygiene
and other factors.
The website will have:
- Hospital infection statistics.
- What you can do to help protect yourself.
- What you can do to help protect others.
We have made business card size encouragement cards to give to
everyone. See the website (to be up by July 1, 2005) for more
information. We will have card packs at the benefit.
For information on MRSA Healthcare-associated MRSA (HA-MRSA)
Our new website will be at http://www.cleanyourhands.org
by July 1,2005